Monday, July 6, 2009

Crazy Love

There's a radical book that's been floating around our house for several months. It's called Crazy Love. John was reading it with his Bible study group when I told him I wanted the book after he finished it. Nothing more was said. When John finished the book and gave it to me, he said, and I quote, "You may want to go buy that piece of furniture before you read this book." He said it in a joking - but still serious way. (We are still trying to furnish our home.) It honestly spurred me to start reading it quicker.

"So many of us think and live like the movie of life is all about us" - Crazy Love. That was one quote that quickly got my attention and kept me reading. Crazy Love, by Francis Chan, has already had an impact on how I think, how I prioritize needs, my opinions on rich vs. poor...and I haven't finished it yet. This book focuses on the "Lukewarm Christian." Man, oh man, I'm guilty in so many ways.

In no way do I encourage you to read this book so you can feel like a failure and beaten to the core. No, I encourage you to read it because God desires more of us! I'll leave you with some of the more thought-provoking comments from this incredible book. I want that crazy-kind-of love for my one and only Savior!

-"Lukewarm People do whatever is necessary to keep themselves from feeling too guilty. They want to do the bare minimum, to be 'good enough' without it requiring too much of them."

-"Are you willing to say to God that he can have whatever He wants? Do you believe that wholehearted commitment to Him is more important than any other thing or person in your life? Do you know that nothing you do in this life will ever matter, unless it is about loving God and loving the people He has made?"

-"Christians today like to play it safe. We want to put ourselves in situations where we are safe 'even if there is no God.' But if we truly desire to please God, we cannot live that way. We have to do things that cost us during our life on earth but will be more than worth it in eternity."

-"God didn't just give us a little; He gave His best. He gave himself....True love requires sacrifice."

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16

No comments: