Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mountains Majesty!

I've seen SNOW for Christmas! Actually, I've seen FEET of snow for Christmas! Just returned from Winter Park, Colorado with Frazer's youth group. Not sure if our fearless youth leaders, Brian and Bryan, knew when they asked me to go that (1) I've never been a "chaperon" before and (2) I'VE NEVER SKIED! But there's a first time for everything, and this first time traveling with youth and skiing was a BLAST! Leslie (our youth pastor's wife and another ski chaperon) called this my initiation. Well, initiate me again because I had the best time with these teenagers, and I hope the mountains call my name again!

My condo had 4 very energetic and enthusiastic freshman girls. These girls were up every morning at 6:00am, skiing by 8:00am and didn't come off the slopes until they had to at 4:00pm. I, on the other hand, spent the first day in Ski School with Leslie and some of our youth girls. This totally rocked! I only fell twice during our lessons and managed to not break any bones. The second day, Leslie and I felt a bit more adventurous so we found other green slopes. Can you say STEEP, BUMPY hills? If what we did were greens, don't ever take me up to the black diamonds!

But now I can check skiing off my "never have done" list. And it's now on the "I wanna go back" list! Although I can barely walk today as my legs are so sore (skiing is a workout!!), I truly would love to go back with family. It's so peaceful in the mountains and you can't be there without thinking about God the entire time. God gave me this verse while we were there. And please know - my pictures just can't do this place justice!

"Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God." Psalm 90:2

The view from our condo! I love seeing that mountain peeking through!

Leslie and I ready for Ski School

The view from up top! Before we got "adventurous," we took pictures!

The end of "Village Way" slope. Definitely not Lauren's best "way" down ... I bumped my way down, if you know what I mean.

The girls in my condo! Maddie, Cassidy, Ivey and Tori before snow tubing!

I dare say tubing was perhaps more fun that skiing. If you look closely, you can see the start of a HUGE snow hill behind us. We tubed down that hill at least 20 times. Linked together (sometimes we did groups of 15 or more) was wild!

"In his hand are the depths of the earth
and the mountain peaks belong to him."
Psalm 95:4

2 comments:

Robyn said...

SOOO fun!!!! Glad you loved skiing . . . I've always loved it too.

Margie Walters said...

Those are awesome pictures! I am a TERRIBLE skier, but the tubing looks so fun. Maybe I should bump up a few ages in my volunteering from 3 yr olds to teenagers so I can ski too!